The Southern Maryland Scale Modelers meet every third Thursday of the month at 7:00 pm. We currently meet at the NSi, 21513 Great Mills Road, Lexington Park, Maryland.

Everyone is welcome, all we ask is that you bring a project, finished or not, theme or non-theme to share during our Show-N-Tell discussion. Okay, you don't really have to bring a project...

Thursday, December 8, 2016

161: December Meeting

A reminder that we will be having our annual potluck on Thursday, 15th December, 7pm at the Pax River Naval Aviation Museum.

No modeling theme this month but everyone is welcome to bring a model for show and tell.  Just remember that if you bring a model, be prepared to talk about it (or not, we're kinda easy that way).

Tuesday, December 6, 2016

160: November Meeting Minutes

Not much to report for November's meeting.

16 Members attended with 17 models.

Major topic was MarauderCon preps and logistics for getting the models and members there.

We also started the Christmas pot luck list and it looks like we'll have lots of food and sweets.


Monday, November 28, 2016

MarauderCon 2016

Quite a few folks made it to Havre de Grace this year for MauraderCon, we even recruited a new member!


We had 6 entries for our Big Bomber Build display - a big thank you to John, Joe, Whitey, Mike, Collin, Tim and of course Bene who organized us and kept the heat on to finish.


Looking at the above display, what ONE THING sticks out????  Who are these people? They make some great models and folks came by to ask lots of questions about techniques and details, but the small white page with a fine tip penned name on it was hard for many modelers to see.  More on that later...

In fact, this seems so successful that some of there discussed repeating a display like this for the three major shows in our region:

  • IPMS Richmond - February
  • IPMS NoVa - April
  • MarauderCon - November

More specifically, we could display one of our themes plus some other kits to show off our skills.  One strong recommendation is to move our May Yellow Wings group build of the Monogram F11C-2 squadron to April and display it at the NoVa show.


John also brought some of his figures to round out the display.


Tim's He-111 late Battle of Britain / Night Blitz


Whitey's PB4Y-1 in late war markings; lots of folks really liked it, but then again it did earn some metal at the Nats this year...


Collin's B-25 -- folks asked lots of questions regarding the Prop Blur props.


Joe's JRM-1.  Lots of comments on the uniqueness of this aircraft.  Many didn't realize the B-26 served with the USN/USMC in Naval colors.


Mike's C-47.


John's B-17.  This got lots of comments but then again it was a winner in the past.

Now back to that display...I will donate a table cloth or something similar that can be draped on a table and has our logo and name on it.  Plus our web address and Facebook page.  So for future events it'll allow us to show of who we are.

Wednesday, November 9, 2016

159: October Meeting Minutes

As usual we had a good turnout.  16 members with 19 models on display.

For business, we discussed MauraderCon 2016 and the Big Bomber Build some members are contributing to.  Bring those finished bombers to the November meeting and of course the 19th November MauraderCon display!

We also discussed a heads up for the annual Christmas party.  As usual it will be a pot luck and gift exchange.  I'll bring the dish sign up at the November meeting, or send me an email.  If you want to participate in the gift exchange bring a wrapped gift.  If it's a model from your stash, please ensure it's  complete and not started.

Thursday, October 20, 2016

159: October Meeting

Just a friendly reminder of the meeting today, Thursday 20th October at 7pm at the Pax River Naval Air Museum.

Theme: Build the same kit -- 1/72 scale Airfix A6M2 Zero (kit# A01005).

As usual, bring a theme model, or not. If you do bring a model be prepared to talk about it, or not.

Thursday, October 6, 2016

Pax River Museum Renovation of Buildings B and C

Hi Everyone,

Below is a paste of the letter I received today; essentially it means beginning in January (or about) we won't be able to meet at the Conference Room where we typically meet (in Building B).

I will contact both George and Amy to arrange for them to come to a meeting and give us options, since they are offering!

Regards,
Tim

----- cut here -----
September 30, 2016




I am writing to notify you of new things happening at the museum in the coming months.

On Thursday, August 18th, the bid opening for the renovation of Buildings B and C was conducted.  There are still a few steps to be completed but we anticipate that the contract will be awarded by the end of September.  This contract will allow 60 days for the design phase, then conduct review of the design, and finally authorize the selected contractor to proceed with the renovation.  Our best estimate is that the renovation work will begin in early January, 2017, and the contractor will be allowed 150 days to complete the project.  

During the renovation work, we will lose the certificate of occupancy for Building B and C.  This means that we will be unable to hold retirement ceremonies, meetings, or conferences in our normal conference room.  I do not want you to think that this represents an eviction notice and you will be left to find another place to meet.  We will gladly work with you to find a workable solution for both your organization and the museum.  I would like to attend one of your meetings in the near future to discuss and better understand your space requirements so that we can do appropriate planning.

Additionally, we are working to implement workshop offerings beginning in 2017.  We would anticipate that several of the clubs that meet in the museum would like to offer workshops as a method to increase membership or just to demonstrate to the community the value of participation in your organization.  Amy Houle Caruso is coordinating these workshops.  She would also like an invitation to one of your club meetings to discuss this program and how your club might benefit from participation.

We will work to make the impact of this renovation on your organization as painless as possible and I thank you in advance for your patience regarding any disruption.  Should you have questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to contact me via email or by phone, or just stop by the museum.


George Hill
President, Board of Directors
Patuxent River Naval Air Museum


----- cut here -----